As a business coach, I often see people rushing to answer a question or responding too quickly. Take the extra seconds, minutes, or day you need to respond instead of reacting to situations.
- Pause for three seconds before you respond. This gives you time to receive, process and think about what you want to say or ask next.
- Take 24 hours. Never enter or continue a conversation when you are angry.
- Ask a clarifying question. Just because someone asks you a question, doesn’t mean you need to answer it. Ask another question to make sure you understand what you are answering.
- Listen to your instincts. Ask questions about what you are sensing to gain clarity and understanding.
- Let me ask you one more thing before I answer. This is a great line to use when you still need clarity.
Use these tips whenever you need a pause or clarification so you can respond more thoughtfully, become a more effective communicator, and build stronger relationships.