As we close what was, for many, an outstanding year and look toward 2016, we need to ask ourselves some very important questions:
- How will we do better in 2016 than we did in 2015?
- What do we need to do to make it happen?
- How long will this last? When will we see/an adjustment in the market?
As we look ahead, we must prepare for the future because we cannot predict what lies ahead. 2016 is an election year, which means major changes could be in store for 2017. After all, who could have predicted that Donald Trump would be the GOP frontrunner?
To reflect, prepare and plan ahead during these transitional times, I have prepared some great resources for you, including two articles, two TED talks and an inspirational video.
Abraham Lincoln is one of my favorite role models. I believe he said it best, “I will prepare and someday my chance will come.” He also said, “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
Now is the time to sharpen our respective axes and prepare for 2016 and beyond! Start by reading, watching and listening to the following sources, which will place you on the right path to kick start the New Year in high gear.
1) In a January 2012 article released by the BBC, Professor Foster estimates that by 2020, over three-quarters of the S&P 500 will be comprised of companies that we have not heard of yet.
- Question to ask yourself when planning for 2016: Where will my business be in 2020?
2) In a July 2015 Business Insider article, it is predicted that there will be 10 million self-driving cars on the road by 2020.
A related TED Talk by Chris Urmson outlines the objectives of Google’s driverless car program.
- Question to ask yourself when planning for 2016: How will technology change my business/industry in the next five years?
Josh Luber takes us on a journey into the complicated, unregulated sneaker market and imagines how it could be a model for a stock market for commerce in an October 2015 TED Talk.
- Question to ask yourself when planning for 2016: What disrupters could change the way you are doing business, or put you out of business either now or within the next five years?
This is one of my favorite sports-related inspirational talks – by iconic American actor Al Pacino. Just watch and you’ll see why!
- Question to ask yourself when planning for 2016: What am I going to do?
Thank you for your business in 2015. I’m excited to work with you and your team in 2016. Get ready to Think EVEN BIGGER!