It’s more common than not, our passion becomes our prison in business. We grow too fast, but don’t have all the fundamental pieces in place to grow to the next level. There are some parallels to draw upon in the world of professional sports. In Michael Jordan’s book, I Can’t Accept Not Trying, he described why Larry Bird was an elite athlete in the game of basketball. It wasn’t because he was the best natural-born athlete, it was because he had the best fundamentals. When compared to others who came right from high school or got too big too fast and missed the fundamentals, they could only take their game to a certain level, because they didn’t have the proper fundamentals to build upon, like Bird.
It’s the same in business. When we grow too fast and/or don’t grow from the fundamentals, we find ourselves overwhelmed and can even feel imprisoned. An executive advisor/business coach helps you navigate out of that mess by giving you simple, fundamental next steps to begin the rebuilding process. A proper advisor/coach will take away the clutter from your brain, start putting the pieces in motion and ensure that you start taking action. However, if you don’t take action and put in the effort, there is no reason to have a coach. Your coach will hold you accountable and give you solid ideas to grow your business. He will be your go-to: Utilize him to discuss anything about your business. Most people don’t have that one person they can vent to about stress because they must always come across calm, cool and collected to their team and partners. A coach will work through stressful issues and guide you to make the best decisions with the proper tools, techniques and communication skills to get you and your business/company to its next level.
An effective business coach works with clients to refresh the culture, build courage and confidence, so that you can perform at your highest level. No one wants to come to work and do a bad job. Everyone wants to bring their best game, feel as if they matter and make a difference. A business coach creates that culture, so that you can focus on growing your business and creating a legacy.
If you choose to work with an advisor or coach, be ready to commit to the process and the journey. That means doing the work after your coach leaves your office. You must do what you say you are going to do, which requires discipline, consistency and action.
Coaches are inspirational: They give you ideas to grow and prosper. They get you to take action!
Here are 7 ideas and strategies that have helped many of my clients make an immediate impact on their business in 7days. It requires you to take ACTION!
1. Ask for introductions; not referrals. Follow up with “Do you know anyone who could benefit from my services? If so, please have them call me.” The word referral makes you sound cheap. The word introduction has a classy tone, and doesn’t make you sound like a used car salesman.
2. Connect with people. Stop only saying, “Nice to meet you.” Instead say, “Great connecting with you.” People are looking to connect with you when they meet you. “Nice to meet you” is simply a filler comment, void of any true substance.
3. Extoll your expertise. Replace this question: “Does this work for you?” with “Tell me, does what we talked about seem like it will benefit you? If so, please tell me how.” Test them and make sure you are both on the same page. If they can’t answer the question, you need to clarify how they will benefit from your expertise.
4. Know your worth. Set an hourly rate and delegate everything else. If you don’t have a support team, set a plan to build one ASAP.
5. Spend 10 minutes every morning on yourself. Add onto your day if needed. Have a morning ritual that is for you and only you. If you are like most business people, you put yourself last. Flip that today and put yourself first.
6. Know your three top metrics. Live and die by these three performance indicators. Check them weekly if not daily.
7. Development your business daily. Consistency is key. It’s better to work on business development for 15 minutes a day, then nothing for months and one killer day here and there. Always plant the seeds for tomorrow. Build, build, build!
By executing on just one of these steps every day for 7 days, you will substantially grow your business and shift your mindset in one week. It’s up to you to take ACTION, have Fun and THINK BIG!
All the Best in Growing your Business!
I look forward to connecting with you.